Planned Parenthood is the nation’s top affordable health care provider for men, women, and children of all ages; however, it’s reputation is often overpowered by misconceptions which spark controversy towards the nonprofit organization.
Along with the fight for their equal rights, women reproductive rights are shown to hold a great amount of backlash from those who are clouded with ideas which go against their beliefs, opinions, etc. Opposition against Planned Parenthood even come from political leaders such as fromer president Donald Trump and vice president Mike Pence, referring to planned parenthood as an “abortion factory.” False accusations towards planned parenthood similar to these and others like them greatly harms the more than 600 clinics all over the country, including all their patients who rely on the organization for needs that they are not able to fulfill elsewhere.
The organization refuses to let those against them impact their work and are extremely open about the attacks and attempts made primarily by politicians to try and shut them down. According to Planned Parenthood, Mike Pence introduced federal legislation with the hope of defunding the clinics in 2007. In addition, intensely edited videos were made by anti-abortion extremists in which numerous false claims were made about their health centers, and although they were all proven to be fake and were even sued by planned parenthood, it did not end the various types of attacks coming at them in threat to shut them down.
It is commonly thought by those against planned parenthood that if the clinics shut down, the changes wanted to see in society will occur; however, the consequences would only be detrimental. The organization does so much more than many people really know, and although providing abortion to their patients is a controversal topic for many people, that is only a small portion of all the greatly necessary services that they offer patients.
Here is a list of all the services planned parenthood offers:
- They provide clients with abortion services and referrals, giving factual, non-judgemental information on their options in order for the clients to make the choice that is best for them.
- They provide numerous different forms of birth control and Emergency contraception, allowing their patients to have a safe way to prevent unwanted pregnancies and treating health problems.
- They practice general healthcare in order to prevent illness, find any problems which require treatment, and keep their patients healthy.
- They provide HIV services such as tests and medication which are given to allow those who test positive to live healthier and longer if it has been transmitted.
- They also offer LGBTQ+ services, including general healthcare and even hormone therapy for transgender patients.
- They provide men with health services as well, which are regarding anywhere from general checkups, birth control, sexual dysfunction, fertility issues, STD’s, and cancer.
- Very importantly, patient education is offered, allowing for their clients to have up-to-date and accurate information on what is needed for their sexual and reproductive health.
- They offer pregnancy testing and services such as addressing any questions or concerns from patients, making sure they are getting the correct care, or even just provide any support that is needed.
- STD testing, treatment, and vaccines are also offered by the organization, keeping their patients healthy and aware of any treatment options that are necessary.
- Lastly, women's services are provided in which includes essential care such as birth control, STD tests, pelvic exams, cancer screenings, and pregnancy-related services.
Planned Parenthood is so much more than just a controversial view between two sides of an opinion, and behind all the clouded misconceptions and fake news, is an organization that provides essential services for many people who need it. They are a reliable source for people of all ages, genders, and income levels. Many of the services offered by the organization, an example being sexual education, are extremely rare to be found elsewhere, but are exceptionally important to have for the essential impacts it has on lives. The urge to take away planned parenthood is not just about controversy, but it is a violation of the basic rights in which all people deserve. Services provided by them are essential for the rights of people and their overall quality of life, and it should not be overlooked by a matter of opinion between two sides.